Some of the Microsoft Office suite of applications are widely used. Word, Excel and Outlook are almost synonymous with the software brand. Other applications offer more specialized functionality but are quite effective to use. Among the lesser used but highly effective applications is Visio, which is used for diagramming most anything – from information technology topographies to organizational charts and much more.
What is Visio?
With its wide variety of templates and shapes anything from network diagrams to flowcharts, floor plans and engineering designs can be created with Microsoft Visio. Other functions include Process Modeling and Data Visualization. The application is easy to use and creates highly effective visual diagrams that can be ported into many other applications like PowerPoint and Publisher. Visio is the handiest of tools to have showing the design or schematic of anything whether it’s for internal use or business clients. Visio is another Microsoft Office application that adds productivity both easily and effectively.
What’s New in Visio 2016
Microsoft Visio 2016 came with several new features that improve upon an already effective application. Here are five new features in Visio that can help you:
- Microsoft Visio 2016 comes with an array of starter templates complete with prompts to get users going. Additionally, these helpful starters come with contextual tips covering the fifteen most-used types of diagrams. It’s an amazing starter for inexperienced users who can leverage simple to complete diagram with initial efforts with great visual effects.
- Like the other applications of Microsoft Office 2016, Visio comes with the Tell Me function that use hundreds of commands. Ask Visio to do something and users will get a list of ways to accomplish the task at hand and all from a displayed drop-down list.
- With new industry compliance standards, Microsoft incorporated a vast number of shapes that meet specifications for UML 2.4, IEEE (which is new) and BPMN 2.0. Accomplishing any diagramming task leaves users with highly visual results that meet design standards.
- With one-step data linking, Visio 2016 Quick Import capabilities bring real-life diagrams into the application for amazing data linking. Conversion to data is simple with linking to shapes and graphics made easy in Visio.
- With Information Rights Management, Visio 2016 creates security for sensitive information while providing even individual user level document rights to preserve collaborative functionality.
Differences Between Professional and Standard Versions
|Versatile Templates and Thousands of Shapes||●||●|
|Import DWG Files (import AutoCAD files with support up to DWG 2010)||●||●|
|Support for Industry Standards||●|
|Fast Startup with Starter Diagrams||●||●|
|Tell Me Intuitive Searches||●||●|
|Built-in Themes & Effects||●||●|
|Live Data Overlay||●v|
|Data to Diagram||●|
|One-step Data Linking||●|
|Co-authoring (requires Office 365 or SharePoint)||●|
|Integration with Skype for Business (licensed separately)||●||●|
|Easy Diagram Sharing||●||●|
|Anywhere Access (web & iPad Apps)||●||●|
|Full Fidelity (for use with web and iPad apps with pan & zoom)||●||●|
Why Upgrade to 2016?
Based on the chart above, reasons to upgrade to the latest version of Visio 2016 abound. New features mean gaining the latest capabilities for creating and sharing vital information that’s sure to impress management or clients. Improved diagram tools, intuitive searches, and Skype for business capabilities all add to existing visual output. Access via tablet and handheld devices enables remote or field users the ability to view files via web and iPad apps with intuitive pan and zoom functionality.
Why Upgrade to Professional?
Visio 2016 Professional adds increased functionality where needed. While the Standard edition packs newer features, business needs may dictate upgrading to the Professional edition. Collaborative features may well be necessary in larger organizations while some business requirements for secured data may further drive need for an upgrade to Professional. Likewise, users who need to import real-world data into Visio files can take advantage of the new Live Data Overlay, Data to Diagram, One-step Data Linking and Data Refresh features. Additionally, organizations using Office 365 or SharePoint can easily leverage co-authoring capabilities. Discuss your Visio needs with one of our representatives for the best fit to the dynamics of your business.
To learn more about Microsoft Visio 2016, contact our licensing experts at Royal Discount. 1-877-292-7712 Certified Microsoft Experts – call in today at Monday – Friday.